josh

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

"Dan_Musicant" wrote
To me, that means they didn't do the job right. Am I wrong?

Dan, you're right. Also, you shouldn't be able to see heads of fasteners
PERIOD.

I told him I had a mind to have the roof professionally assessed and he
said go ahead. I called one of the estimators I had bid the roof and he
called me back and said their fee is normally $300. He said that after
they finish their repairs today if I still want to to call him back and
he'd come out and do the inspection. Is $300 too steep for that? I can
call some other local roofers.

I have been in court for testimony, on more than one occasion. First, before
you have anyone come out, and assess the project, make double sure, they
have qualifications which will stand up in court. Otherwise, you're throwing
your money away, again.

Qualifications should include at least five years in the profession.
Licensed, bonding (if required), and insurance. Any roofing certifications
from manufacturers, such as Master installer etc. A list of projects and
permits pulled within the last five years.

I can't speak for other areas of the country, or even in my state. For my
area, an assessment would include detailed & typed documentations of the
problems, with photos & labeling provided at a cost of $150.00. Actually
going to court, providing sworn testimony, or questions/answer sessions for
your attorney/others, or any other incurred time, would be additional, @ $60
per hour plus expenditures.

If you already have a family attorney, I would put in a call to them, for
advice on exactly where to proceed before spending anymore.