Dan_Musicant

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

The project manager came by today an hour after he sent out a couple of
guys with some shingles, who repeatedly shook their heads at what they
saw and started replacing shingles. I stood on the roof and watched them
work. I could see that they were replacing shingles. The process of
removing nails from the shingle above has me worried. It seems like that
will damage the roof. Also, nailing with a hammer in that circumstance
looks iffy, like they can easily damage the shingles. They have to lift
up an edge of a shingle to nail down the one below. I don't think the
younger guy is very experienced and the older guy seems tired, way too
tired to be a regular roofer.

The project manager comes by an hour later and declares that nails that
you can see from the side are OK, particularly on a low sloped roof. I'd
think it the other way around. He says they'll only replace shingles
with nails you can spot from directly overhead. He also declared my
north dormer 4/12 and therefore the single layer of underlayment is
sufficient. I told him I measured it at 2.71/12, but he said he'd
measured it 4/12. I insisted, so he got his guage and measured and he
said it said it was 3/12. I said the instructions on the package clearly
indicate that this requires double underlayment. He said it wouldn't
leak and I said it would after a few years. He changes his tack and says
the double underlayment in under 4/12 sloped roofs is only for when you
use 15 lb. felt and they'd used 30 lb. felt. To this I said I'd reread
the instructions. Here's the instructions verbatim:

" UNDERLAYMENT

Apply underlayment (Non-Perforated No. 15 or 30 asphalt saturated felt).
Cover drip edge at eaves only. ICBO requires No. 30 underlayment for
re-roofing over wood shingles.

For low slope (2/12 up to 4/12), completely cover the deck with two
plies of underlayment overlapping a minimum of 19". Begin by fastening a
19" wide strip of underlayment placed along the eaves. Place a full 36"
wide sheet over the starter, horizontally placed along the eaves and
completely overlapping the starter strip."

To me, that means they didn't do the job right. Am I wrong?

I told him I had a mind to have the roof professionally assessed and he
said go ahead. I called one of the estimators I had bid the roof and he
called me back and said their fee is normally $300. He said that after
they finish their repairs today if I still want to to call him back and
he'd come out and do the inspection. Is $300 too steep for that? I can
call some other local roofers.

The project manager said the crew chief that did the job hasn't gotten
compaints before and he doesn't know why this job turned out so bad. He
admits that when he came back to replace badly nailed shingles he seemed
to have done "nothing." I'm afraid that I'm not going to wind up with a
long-lasting roof job here. The roof looks a ton better than it did, all
the sagging is gone, or almost all of it, but if I have leaks I'll be
bummed. Their warranty is for 7 years. Of course, the shingles are 50
year. Maybe I should try to get the Elk rep over here.

Thanks for your help.

Dan