Dan_Musicant

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 02:52:37 GMT, "josh" wrote:

: In closely inspecting the entire roof (I couldn't see the eaves very
: well, because I don't have an extension ladder) I spotted 2-3 nails that
: they covered with some kind of caulk and then spray painted. They were
: using a spray paint supplied by Elk that matches the shingle color
: (Shakewood). They used some of that spray on the caulk! I am going to
: tell them not to do any more of that. If they want to, I'll try to get
: the Elk rep over here and/or a professional inspector for a bona fide
: assessment and report on what's going on.
:
:The remedy used, is unacceptable. It's really time to start playing
:hardball, you're just way too nice.

A couple guys from the company just arrived who I don't recognize. The
project manager said he was going to come today but he hasn't shown up
yet. These guys came in a company pickup truck (not the usuall company
roofing truck) and it has a bunch of Shakewood shingles thrown in the
back (not in packages) and they'd gotten instructions to replace
shingles. I met them on the roof and they just shook their heads. They
couldn't believe how many bad shingles they were seeing. They found a
couple that I hadn't seen right away. They've started replacing shingles
but I told them not to do the north dormer, that I want to talk to the
project manager and that I think the entire north dormer needs a
tearoff. I'm seriously wondering if I shouldn't send these guys home and
insist on an inspection first by the project manager and by a
professional roofer from a different company. Meantime, they are
replacing some of the shingles.