kip

Default Sony TV KV-32XBR95S,horizontal light bands

That Model is know for many bad filter caps
and a mulitude of bad solder joints .
A heavy weight set worth fixing.

kip

"Dan" "shedlows at comcast.net" wrote in message
James,
Thanks for your quick response. I should point out that the banding seems
to be a function of the horizontal scan lines being either widely
separated or closer together--you can actually see the difference in the
width between the scanning lines as opposed to normal where you can not
easily see the scan lines. That's why I thought it was associated with
vertical scan signal rather than a video problem.
Dan
"James Sweet" wrote in message
Dan wrote:
My sony XBR is quite old (92 vintage) but still love the great picture.
Recently it developed the problem of horizontal bands of light and dark
across the entire screen which only appear in light scenes. If the
picture is dark, there are no bands and the intensity or how visible the
bands are is in direct proportion to how bright the picture is. It
appears that the bands are a distortion in the vertical sync. Thought it
could be a power supply related problem because of the sensitivity to
brightness level. I do have the service manual for the TV. Any
suggestions on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Sounds like a classic case of jailbars, find the capacitor that filters
the B+ to the video amp, usually it's a 250v lytic on the neck board but
I haven't had that symptom on a Sony so it may be elsewhere.