Bruce L. Bergman

Default OT Handling customer Truck Repair.

On 12 Nov 2005 06:42:11 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Mike says...

He's not happy, we're not happy. What would you do?

I would have inspected the broken fan shroud and noticed the old
repair attempt, done the epoxy, backing plate and rivet repair, and
said nothing. (I would make a folded over "clip" of aluminum and
epoxy it on, to avoid the rivet step, but that's personal preference.)

You are still returning the vehicle in better condition than you
received it, and since fan shrouds are not stressed I don't see any
safety issues there.

Of course, you wouldn't have known that he was going to use the
pre-broken fan shroud as a device to get "free" repairs done, either,
or try to step it up a notch to full-on extortion with the cracked
grille "discovery" but some days it's best to let sleeping dogs lie...

Do, or have done?

Basically it's a done deal, so no sense worrying about
it. I would never work on a vechicle of his ever again
though.

Just tell him it's too expensive for you.

If you live in a Big Town, just drop it right there. You can't
effectively spread the word to enough people to accomplish anything.
(I'm stuck in that 'Big City" boat - I'd just have to call it a loss
and move on.)

Though if you don't have one up now, post a prominent "We Reserve
The Right To Refuse Service To Anyone" sign in your office and other
customer service areas, just in case he comes back. CYA.

But if you live in a smaller town and you are willing to "kick it up
a notch" there are other effective ways to handle this, but be advised
they take a little effort and open you up to some legal exposure. But
if you ask around and find you aren't the first person he has scammed,
go for it.

You write up a one-page summary detailing your encounter with this
gentleman. Make sure to have your lawyer examine it thoroughly to
make sure that the wording does not libel or slander the gentleman -
The truth is the ultimate defense. And you need to have all the proof
available in triplicate in case you are challenged.

Then circulate that advisory letter to all the professional
services, contractors, and repair facilities in the area that he might
try to steal from in the future. And make sure the local TV, Radio
and Print media outlets get a copy, too.

The guy might get the message if he has to drive 50 or 100 miles
each time he wants to get a professional service performed, call out
of town contractors and pay extra travel time to get things done at
his house or business, or pay a 50-mile tow charge to call an out of
town wrecker operator and get his car repaired at an out of town
garage...

Do NOT try going directly to him about this without having your
lawyer involved - it would be far too easy for him to turn it around
that you were trying to extort from him, and make it stick.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545