John Martin

Default Fastenal VS Grainger

Grant Erwin wrote:
I'm happy for this thread. I had never heard of Fastenal except maybe in
passing. I started looking and lo and behold they just opened a store right here
in my town. Their prices are pretty high on a lot of stuff but they say they can
get almost anything in their catalog to their store in 24 hours. We'll see.

Always nice to have another place to shop ..

GWE

I, too, was in a Fastenal store the other day and was quite surprised.
I've seen a few other fastener suppliers, but none who put it all out
on the shelves like Fastenal do.

What really surprised me, though, was that there are 4 stores within 20
miles of Portland (Maine). They said they have 1,800 stores now, and
are opening new ones every day. Hard to see why that makes sense - I'd
rather see one store in the area, with a greater inventory.

They had what I wanted - button head cap screws - in a size and length
that MSC and some of the others consider a special size and price
accordingly. Imported, and cheap.

John Martin