Dan_Musicant

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:25:29 GMT, Norminn wrote:

:FWIW - the instructions for Prestique Plus seem to have changed and
erhaps the product itself has changed. When our roof was done, they
:specifically stated 6 nails per shingle. Now they say six nails if
:slope exceeds 21/12. The website is now organized by state so I don't
:know how they differ by area.
:
:Their website:
:http://www.elkcorp.com/homeowners/pr...cationspec.cfm
:
:"All warranties are contingent upon the correct installation as shown in
:the instructions."
:
:"For a Limited Wind Warranty, all Prestique and Raised ProfileTM
:shingles must be applied with 4 properly placed fasteners, or in
:the case of mansard applications, 6 properly placed fasteners
er shingle."

I watched them nail some of the shingles and I think they may have been
hitting them with more than 4 nails, maybe 6, but they were nailing way
too fast. They would pull the trigger just as the nailer hit the
shingle, bam bam bam bam. They made no effort to place the nailer on the
shingle and check to see if it was online before pulling the trigger.
That's definitely true for at least some of the nailing because I
witnessed it. Also, the results speak for themselves.