Jeff Wisnia

Default Power Factor & kWH?

Pop wrote:

Below is part of what I was wondering about: Doesn't that mean,
in reality, that, unless the PF is corrected, that the customer
is the one with the advantage? As in, "free" power? IE of
shifted waveforms is going to be less than in-phase IE over time.
Therefore, the correction equipment is to "correct" the numbers
so the power company isn't delivering power it isn't charging
for? If so, why would anyone voluntarily install a capacitor
system?

Pop

The answer to that question is.....

If it were a perfect world full of honorable people (particularly at the
utilities) then .... if every homeowner installed equipment to make
their home's power factors as close to unity as practically possible
(Probably that could just be a capacitor right across each significantly
sized motor.), the utility would have less line losses and be able to
pass the savings back to their customers in the form of lower rates.

Remember, I said "perfect world"...

Jeff (Another old phart EE who's forgotten more than he learned, but one
thing I'll never forget are the words of that Brit professor who tought
our "rotating machinery" lab who said, "You boys will never become good
electrical engineers until you learn to "take" a shock.")

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)