Duane Bozarth

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

Dan_Musicant wrote:

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:46:21 GMT, Norminn wrote:

:clipped
: I'm not going to get an attorney involved unless I have to. First I'll
: see if they will be forthcoming with the necessary fixes. So far they've
: responded to everything I've asked of them. So, I'll be giving the
: benefit of the doubt at this point. Maybe they just had a crew with some
: lax supervision, maybe their training program has been slipping, I don't
: know.
:Training program? You must be kidding. They hold seminars in the van
n the way from pick-up at day labor agency? Probably give them in
:three languages, too )
With these guys it was strictly Espanol, I'm pretty sure. The only
English word I remember hearing from them when they communicated was
"OK."

And it may well have been the first roof some of them ever did.

The extent of their training was probably watching someone else on the
first job if this wasn't the first.

As someone else noted, many (most?) roofers have at best a few permanent
crews or a foreman or two and the rest are pretty much just day labor.
What you get is likely to be highly variable at best.

Many who do roofing do work at it for quite some time and become quite
adept mechanically but may never learn much, if anything, about the
actual subtleties of doing a real "professional" job in the full sense
of the term beyond that of simply being paid for performing the service.

Sounds like your situation--inexperienced/unknowledgable crew w/
absentee foreman. Result--fast turnaround, but poor workmanship.