George

Default Major Screwup by Gas Company - House Explodes

Tom Warner wrote:
Michael Nickolas wrote:

"ameijers" wrote:

Same thing happened here in Battle Creek, MI, a few years ago. Gas Co was
working on outside plant, and connected a hi-pressure line to a low-pressure
branch serving an older neighborhood.

Exactly what happened here in MA.

The "high pressure" line (reportedly) was 60 psi, the normal street line (which
the high pressure was accidentally connected to) pressure is only 2 psi. When I
first heard "high pressure" line accidentally hooked up, I thought they were
referring to the Tennessee Gas interstate lines that serve the local utility
companies in Eastern Massachusetts towns. Those lines have 600-1500 psi in
them!!! TN Gas spends a lot of effort maintaining their infrastructure, probably
more than Keyspan (the local gas utility).

In my area most of the street lines are nominal 60 PSI. They install a
regulator where the service line rises into the meter saddle.

Several reports have stated that the regulator should have prevented too much
pressure in the house even after the pressure mismatch. Is this true? Can the
regulator next to the meter reliably regulate when the supply pressure is that
high?

Then again I don't think there were any other leaks inside houses on that street
other than the one house that was destroyed, so perhaps everyone else's
regulators worked ok.