BobS

Default Re-cutting door frame hinge mortises

Yes - you can get a Stanley template for use with a router and it comes with
the correct router bit. All you need to do is square the corners if you're
using that kind of hinge. If you have the rounded corner hinges - job done.
As I recall, cost was about $30 for a piece of plastic and the router bit
but it's tough, won't break easily and worked as advertised. Mines out in
the shop gathering dust....

Bob S.

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
I'm doing a reno project and have many doors which need to be replaced or
fiddle with. I've been using the tried and true hammer and chisel to cut
or
recut the existing hinge mortises on the frames. My question is: is there
an
easier way to do this? Possibly with a laminate router or some jig that
can
speed up the process. Cutting by hand works it's just time consuming.
Mostly
I need a method that work on the frame not the door. The door is the easy
part, well a bit easier. Thx.