Richard Ferguson

Default Mill-Drill as Drill?

I have seen many threads in which people argue about the merits of
Mill-Drills as Milling machines, but I don't want to talk about that.

I have a medium drill press, a 20 year old Enco machine, with chaning
belt type speed control, RPM 240-3800 RPM, mounted on a bench. It is
2MT, but I only use the regular drill chuck, goes up to 5/8 inch. The
table cranks up and down fairly easily, and when I need to I can adjust
the angle of the table. I do not have an XY table. It is a bench top model.

I don't have space for a drill and a mill, so if I get a mill-drill I
would sell the drill. I would probably go for a lower end mill-drill. I
have no machining experience.

So what would I give up if I upgraded from my drill press to a
mill-drill? Or would I just have a better drill press with some milling
capability?

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com