John

Default Electrical problem

"Mogweed" wrote in message
A mate of mine has completely rewired our house so everything in the
installation is brand new, including the split-load consumer unit. We have
an upstairs ring main, downstairs ring main and a kitchen ring main, all of
which are protected by the RCD, and the problem is the kitchen ring.

As soon as *anything* (portable radio, halogen lamp, electric drill or
whatever) is plugged into *any* socket on the kitchen ring, the RCD trips
(plugging the same things into either upstairs or downstairs rings does
*not* trip it).

Splitting the ring at the CU and using a proper Megger (500v insulation
resistance tester, not just a multimeter) to test each leg of the ring
shows the following:

L-N = almost infinity resistance (certainly over 1,000Mohms anyway)
" "
" "

so no short-circuits, but yet the RCD trips. What's the problem - more
importantly, what's the solution to the problem? )

He has somehow managed to get one or more neutrals wire to the "wrong"
neutral bar in the Consumer Unit. This has been covered many times before so
google is your friend