Greg G.

Default Wouldn't It Be Nice If ...

charlie b said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the heartwood was on
the outside of the branch/trunk?

or

Wouldn't it be nice if the sapwood were
dark and had all the figure and dark
grain?

I was given a three foot piece of juniper.
The hearwood, like cedar, is bright pink
to red. Problem is , starting with a 5 to
6 inch diameter raw piece, you're down to
3 - 3 1/2" by the time you get roughed to
round. Even if you mount it off center to
get the heartwood closer to the outside -
on one side at least, you've got to get down
in the 1 -1 1/2" range to get to the color.
So the wider base area is light colored
and the narrow neck has all the pinks
and reds.

What's your "Woudn't it be nice if ..."?

Well, Charlie,
I'll put a little more though into it as I'm in the gar.. shop, but
just off the top of my head, the first thing that comes to mind is:
Wouldn't it be nice if... scroll

There were no trolls on Usenet. g
Sorry, just one of those moments...

Greg G.