Andy Hall

Default Reasonable day rate for a good brickie?

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:43:29 GMT, Jeff Davenport
wrote:

I need to enlist the services of some competent brick layers to
construct the blockwork on a an in-ground pond and filter house. This
would involve laying (on a prepared 12" reinforced concrete base) some
800 concrete blocks (dense 7N 18"x9"x4") face down (ie 9" thick
blockwork). The first quote I have had is for a team of 4 (2 skilled
and 2 labourers) at £500 a day for 2 days to complete the job
(£150/day each skilled and £100 a day each labourer).

Does this seem about right for brickwork these days?

I think that that is pretty reasonable depending on area.

These guys have already worked (very satisfactorily) on a conservatory
for me. I would supply all the materials to site of course.

That is the most important point. Perhaps you may be able to knock
£100-200 from the cost by shopping around, but if you have known good
people then that is worth a great deal.

Comments appreciated!

Jeff
To email me just take the MICK out of my addy!

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl