Jon Elson

Default OT----Opinions requested on a moral dillema

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Because in the blessed event that I am driving by a HD that just happens to
be burning itself down to the ground, I'd like to stop and savor those
moments and images, in some comfort and nutritious style, and hark back to
the good ol' days, around the campfire.... and when you could go to a
regular fukn hardware store and talk to somebody.

I go into HD and Lowe's as INfrequently as possible. We have a local
hardware store, part of the Ace line, that has almost everything I have
ever needed. Bolts of all and sundry sizes, both imperial AND metric.
A decent selection of hand, electric and air tools (Kinda light on the
air tools, but they have a few). Most anything in plumbing, including a
wall of compression, flare and threaded fittings from 1/16" to 3/4".
These are the best selection anyplace in town that I know of. They've
got lumber, lawn & garden, pretty good electrical selection, paints,
sandpaper, solder, pool supplies (good for some odd chemicals that might
be hard to get otherwise). Brushes for electric motors, too!

They went through a "gentrification" phase about 10 years ago, and I was
real worried they'd turn it into a lawn ornament shop that also sold an
occasional light bulb. But, they realized the error, and have gotten
back to being a decent hardware store. Every once in a while I need
something so unusual, I can't find it there, and have to go to the HD
and hope that what they have is not total crap!

But, I do my best to support this local store with my purchases. I'm
sure that my buying all sorts of odd mechanical items has had at least
a little part to play in their keeping it a HARDware store!

Jon