josh

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

"Dan_Musicant" wrote

I read the instructions on the Elk Corp. packaging today and see it says
"under no conditions should the overhang at the rake or eaves exceed 3/4
inch." I see a lot of places where it's obviously more than an inch and
some places where it's apparently as much as 1.75 inches, maybe more!

There's a couple of reasons I know of, why excessuve overhang is a concern.
One is, the weight of the covering combined with heat, can cause the
material to droop and crack. Another, which is the main concern in my area
is, it provides high winds something to grab onto and start peeling the
roof.

Had they used a high wind application, they would have ran a starter strip
up the rakes with a 3/4" overhang. If they had a 7" starter, they should
have chalked a line at 6-1/4", this provides the 3/4" overhang. Then they
just cut back the shingles to the edge of the starter.

:Also, not just online nailing is important, but placement of the nails.
:Example- 1" in from each end, and 1 foot in from each end (or

manufacturer
:recommendations). You don't want nails any closer than 2" from butt end

of
:shingles.

What do you mean by the last sentence?

The butt ends, is where the seams of the shingles meet (butted together). On
the shingle underneath the seams, no nail should be within 2 inches of that
seam, or you probably will get a leak.

In closely inspecting the entire roof (I couldn't see the eaves very
well, because I don't have an extension ladder) I spotted 2-3 nails that
they covered with some kind of caulk and then spray painted. They were
using a spray paint supplied by Elk that matches the shingle color
(Shakewood). They used some of that spray on the caulk! I am going to
tell them not to do any more of that. If they want to, I'll try to get
the Elk rep over here and/or a professional inspector for a bona fide
assessment and report on what's going on.

The remedy used, is unacceptable. It's really time to start playing
hardball, you're just way too nice.