josh

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

Comments inserted

"Dan_Musicant" wrote

They do have the cap, but I didn't see any going up the conveyor belt,
although at the time I didn't know about them and wasn't looking for
them. I read your post that mentioned the cap a day or two later and it
didn't ring a bell, so I suspected that they'd cut for cap.

Dan, the brand of cap won't sabotage the perfomance of the covering. I'm
just anal about aesthetics, some people probably wouldn't notice, even
if/when it was pointed out. I probably notice this practice, because I'm in
the business, and it rubs me the wrong way.

I see that. I have a 3 tab shingle in the room with me and can see that
the overlap is barely more than an inch. Not all the shingles look the
same, by a long shot, but this one has a whitish line at about the
midway point in the overlap, and I assume that's the nail line and I
guess they should really be on that line, not so much as a 1/4" below it
or the nail can be seen, at least from the side.

I was thinking maybe they did nail on-line, but used the nail line, to align
the bottom of the shingle? I believe Elk has a 5-5/8" exposure (you would
have to check me on this). The bottom of each shingle should be aligned to
the "cut out" of the previous shingle. But then again, since I've seen
off-line nailing by the hundreds, nothing surprises me.

Also, not just online nailing is important, but placement of the nails.
Example- 1" in from each end, and 1 foot in from each end (or manufacturer
recommendations). You don't want nails any closer than 2" from butt end of
shingles.

I'm wondering how I'll know if they did a kludge and reused the shingles
with holes in them or replaced them with new shingles. I guess I could
get up there on the roof and watch them like a hawk, but I was trying to
avoid that scenario. I suppose I was engaging in a lot of wishful
thinking when I put so much trust in these guys. This is my first
contract in my life. I was hopeful but I'm taking my knocks now. I'll
find out what they say this morning, the estimator (who I think is also
one of the company owners, probably, or at least a higher up), and the
project manager who I'm going to call in an hour or so.

Being anal like I am, I probably would take a can of fluorescent spray paint
and mark each bad shingle. That way I would know which ones they replaced,
or should've replaced. I'm not suggesting you do this, but just something I
would do.

The estimator told me they roofed with integrity, did the job right.
They appear to take a lot of pride in correcting mistakes, so maybe they
will correct these. How do you correct an exposed nail? How many
shingles do they have to pull and replace and how? How many in a given
area before it makes more sense to pull the whole area and replace them
all? Thanks for the help!

Well, with as many goofs as you explained, I hardly believe for one minute,
that they roof with integrity. No one should have that many mistakes on one
roof. The damaged shingles needs replaced, nothing less would do, for a
newly done job. I would not settle for sealant of any type. To replace a
shingle, you need to pull the fasteners from the shingle/s above the bad
one, plus the fasteners in the bad one.

PS I was wondering if there's any way to repair at least some of the
exposed heads (maybe the ones down flush and barely showing). I'm
probably naive, but I thought that maybe inserting a small rectangle
(1.5" x 2") of thin stainless steel with sealant/adhesive under it over
each exposed nail might make a permanent fix that would last decades.
They could be sprayed with color matching paint. I know, it's probably a
foolish dream.

I wouldn't waste my time, just have it done correctly.