Norminn

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposednail?"

I would be very interested in knowing who the roofer was, especially if
in Florida. We had the same shingle, similar problems with sloppy
installation. I've posted details about it previously in AHR. We had
many, many shingles nailed off the line - there is NO margin for error,
as ours delaminated and fell off. Many were cut and pieced improperly,
so the overall pattern is haphazard. Roofer used regular shingles for
ridges, which also looked like crap. Elk used to have install
requirements and warranty applications on their website, but which were
taken down for a time. There is a form to be filled out and mailed to
them for warranty - I would not count on the roofer to have done it. I
believe the warranty is void if not installed according to instr. I
learned, from our mess, a good deal about roofing that I had never
expected to learn.

Our condo board did nothing for a long time, and in the meantime the
replacement value declines. They should have hired an attorney right
away, as the shingles fell of in numbers. Still falling off, but not
often, and after two major reworks. This shingle is worse on steep
roofs, we have mansards, and the city now requires a spot of cement
under each tab on mansards. The outcome of all of our grief is that the
darn things stayed on pretty well through last year's storms whilst most
buildings in the area lost shingles.

The estimator told me they roofed with integrity, did the job right.
They appear to take a lot of pride in correcting mistakes, so maybe they
will correct these. How do you correct an exposed nail? How many
shingles do they have to pull and replace and how? How many in a given
area before it makes more sense to pull the whole area and replace them
all? Thanks for the help!

I am not much for lawyering up, but this is a job that seems worthy of
an attorney handling construction defects. No way should such slop get
a pass. Just for good measure, I would file a complaint with the agency
that licenses the city building inspector who signed off on the job. My
town has some real bad practices, and they just might have saved a life
or two if they did a better job. I am very serious and pretty familiar
with some awful professional practices. I bitched to our city manager
about code issues, with no results, two years ago. Right now, we have a
section of rotted atrium roof beam propped up with jacks = when it began
to sag years ago, some genius put in two sections of downspout between
the atrium ceiling and railings to hold up the roof!! Work is under way
to replace the beam and jack up the sagging roof. A condo across the
street has had work being done on roof and exterior walls for the past
6-7 months - apparently rotted out walls. And it is a neighborhood with
investors rabidly buying in and avoiding maintenance to make a buck.

PS I was wondering if there's any way to repair at least some of the
exposed heads (maybe the ones down flush and barely showing). I'm
probably naive, but I thought that maybe inserting a small rectangle
(1.5" x 2") of thin stainless steel with sealant/adhesive under it over
each exposed nail might make a permanent fix that would last decades.
They could be sprayed with color matching paint. I know, it's probably a
foolish dream.