Dave D

Default Compaq Presario not charging battery...

"Chris Webster" wrote in message
"JANA" skrev i melding
Check the charger circuit with a DVM to see if it is putting out voltage
the battery. If so, the battery must be replaced.

Most of the time, the failure in this case, is a defective battery.

As I said, we have tried with a brand new battery too, same result. I
mainly wanted to know if there is some kind of fuse or something in the
Compaq notebooks power supply management which may break in certain
situations. With all components being SMD it not much one can do without
proper equipment if there is a component failure.

Any clue how much a new powersupply (which I assume includes the charging
circuits, may cost?

Assuming this is a reasonably recent laptop, ie newer than about ten years
old, the power supply is almost certainly just that and nothing more- a
power supply.

The management of battery charging is taken care of by the laptop circuitry,
not the PSU. If the power supply is powering the laptop normally, the power
supply is most likely OK.

There are usually surface mount fuses inside laptops, and it's possible one
has blown. However, more likely the charging circuit has failed because of a
bad battery with shorted cells. Repair may well be uneconomical or
impractical.

Dave