Christopher Tidy

Default TIG welding question

wrote:
I would expect you can AC tig weld stainless. I can't think of any
reason that you couldn't. But I know you can stick weld stainless with
an AC welder. May not be as pretty as TIG.

You can also silver solder ( braze ) stainless. It might be the best
looking way to do it.
Is the stainless fairly thin? Can you use a brake to put a flange on
the edge and have a lap joint? You could use either propane or carbon
arc.

Dan and Eric: Thanks for suggesting that I could stick weld stainless.
I'll do a search online and look for suitable electrodes, then get in
touch with the welding supply store (if my coffee roaster project gets
off the ground).

Dan: It would be thin-ish stainless, but would likely have to be 1.6 to
2 mm if I was going to stick weld it. I don't have a brake, so putting a
flange on the stainless could be a problem. But I do recall than the
data plate on my welder says something about using a carbon arc torch on
the 80 V AC terminal. I'll have a look.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris