Jon Anderson

Default Tiny TIG Welds

Ted Edwards wrote:

Nope. Just the opposite. I know it's counter intuitive but a shorter
taper gives a narrower arc. Try about an 80 degree included angle on a
0.040" tungsten. I think 0.020" diameter aircraft safety wire is
available in several SS alloys.

I always ground longer tapers when I wanted smaller, finer welds. But
just because I made it work doesn't make it the best approach.
Yeah, thinking about it, I think I see how a shorter taper would give a
smaller arc.

Though thinking back (my TIG welding is approaching a decade in my
past...) I didn't carry the really shallow angle all the way to the tip.
I'd shape it that way, then put a very very small, shorter taper right
at the end. So really was going almost a combo.
Too fine a point just doesn't hold up, which is why I went to a double
angle.

Jon