Ray L. Volts

Default UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator

"N Cook" wrote in message
I can never find a translation file for converting commonly used terms for
tools and equipment in the UK for the equivalent term used in the USA ,
or vice versa, often involves trade names.
This is my start - please reply adding others or any possible errors

UK term : USA term

Allen Key : Hex key
Avo (meter) , [old analogue multimeter ] : ?
earth [voltage reference] : ground
enameled copper wire : magnet wire
Gilbows : tinsnips
Hellerman pliers ,(triple prong sleeving expanders) : ?
mains (power) [electricity supply company power feed ] : line (power)
Mole grips : lock jaw pliers, vice grips
plug in power supply : wall wart
spanner : wrench
scope (oscilloscope) : o'scope
screwdriver : driver ?
Stilsons : pipewrench
thou (measurement, 1/1000 of an inch) : mil

allen key: we use both allen wrench and hex key
avo: if it's a tube type, here it's a VTVM (vacuum tube voltmeter; usually
line-powered) or a VOM (volt-ohmmeter; usually battery-powered)
earth: we use that term as well as ground
Hellerman: groove joint; slip-lock (I think that's what u had in mind?)
mains: we use both mains and line
plug-in power supply: we also call it an ac adapter
scope: we use all 3; or if we're feeling particularly elitist, a 'waveform
analyzer'
screwdriver: same (to distinguish from other drivers, such as nutdrivers)