Porky

Default unit hums loudly regardless of volume

Hello tempus. I've been away but so have you. From your last post, more
clues are taking shape as to how to fix your phono. We need to know
what power tube is in it. It will have either 8 pins, (25, 35 or 50L6)
making it an early model, or a later model 9-pin 50C5 or 50EH5. Locate
the pin for the plate, on the 50EH5 or 50C5 that is pin 7, looking at
the bottom of the socket and counting clockwise from the gap. On the
8-pin (octal) tube the plate is on pin 3, clockwise from the notch. The
1st filter cap connects to this pin. It is likely a 40 uF rated for no
less than 150 v. You can use up to 80 uF here and use a high voltage
rating like the 400 v units for safety. The next filter cap connects to
pin 5 or 6 I'm not entirely sure but you can trace the wire back to the
multicap. It should also be a 40 uF (50 - 80 uF will work). For third
cap going to pin 1 or 6 of the 12AX7, a lower value like 22 uF may be
alright. The 4th cap should be 22 uFif it runs to the cathode, pin 1 on
the 9-pin or pin 8 of the octal, or the 12AX7, pin 3 or 8. For these
last 2 caps, 150 v rating is OK.

It appears the selenium rectifier has been bypassed already. There is a
solid state diode doing the job. It is likely black with a silver band
but they do come in other colors, looks like a resistor but with only
one band. Ideally, a resistor is included in series with the diode to
bring the voltage down a little to the level of the original.

The shock you recieved could very likey be due to the filter cap
shorting to ground, and replacing all the caps in the multi-cap can
will likely solve both shock and hum problems. A polarized cord is a
very good idea. A 3-prong cord is even better, with the green wire
going to a solid ground point on the chassis. If you ground the
chassis, locate the death cap, (line to chassis cap @ +/- 0.05 uF), and
clip it out of there to prevent future shocks.

BTW, the tube heater supply is likely fed by a tap on the motor
winding, eliminating the need for a separate tranformer. This ain't
hi-fi. Take good care of that pickup cartridge.

JK