David

Default Christmas present

Wanda Pangborn wrote:

Hey woodworkers,
My husband is interested in furniture making and I think he used to lurk
this group. I found it was one of the ones he subscribed to anyway.

Understand forthright that I don't know anything about the wood working biz.
I want to get him a really versatile piece of equipment for Christmas. He
has some kind of lathe, but I don't know what exactly it is. I know he talks
about saws a lot.

Can you guys give me a good idea what I should spend about 5-600 dollars on?
I want him to have something nice and of quality, so it doesn't have to be a
big table saw or something. I'm wanting to get him a quality gift he will
appreciate. It could even be hand tools or something.

Please let me know brand name, cost, etcetera.

Thanks!

Wanda

For right around $600 you could get him a Sliding Compound Miter Saw.
Many recommend Makita. Google to see what tool I'm talking about. Top
brands include DeWALT, Bosch, Porter Cable. Some have lasers to assist
in positioning the board accurately. I haven't used a laser and some
consider it a pricey gimmick. Having said that, I'm considering buying
a laser equipped SCMS myself, but not til I see one in action.

It will take a lot of wrapping paper and lots of room under the
Christmas tree for this tool!

Dave