Mogweed

Default Electrical problem

"--s-p-o-n-i-x--" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:36:00 -0000, "Mogweed"
wrote:

A mate of mine has completely rewired our house so everything in the
installation is brand new, including the split-load consumer unit. We have
an upstairs ring main, downstairs ring main and a kitchen ring main, all
of
which are protected by the RCD, and the problem is the kitchen ring.

As soon as *anything* (portable radio, halogen lamp, electric drill or
whatever) is plugged into *any* socket on the kitchen ring, the RCD trips
(plugging the same things into either upstairs or downstairs rings does
*not* trip it).

Splitting the ring at the CU and using a proper Megger (500v insulation
resistance tester, not just a multimeter) to test each leg of the ring
shows
the following:

L-N = almost infinity resistance (certainly over 1,000Mohms anyway)
L-E = " " " " "
"
"
N-E = " " " " "
"
"

so no short-circuits, but yet the RCD trips. What's the problem - more
importantly, what's the solution to the problem? )

TIA,

Mogweed

Faulty RCD? If they are the same value try swapping two and see if the
fault moves.

sponix

Thanks sponix but I think you're thinking of the MCBs rather than the RCD
)

Mogweed.