Thomas Prufer

Default Polishing granite edges

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:11:49 +0100, "Toby" wrote:

I'm sure there must be an easy way to polish these edges, it doesn't need
the precision of the tile surface. Maybe some king of disk in the angle
grinder, a diamond stone used like a rasp, or rubbing compound and the
orbital sander?

Any ideas, or is this a waste of time?

Polish? probably a waste of time. Stonemason quoted me a price for finishing
granite and marble edges -- granite is about four-five times the price. He said
that marble could conceivable even be finished by hand alone, but that granite
need diamond, power tools, and time, being much harder.

I'd set taking the sharpness off the edge as a goal, and try wet wet-and-dry
sandpaper, a (expendable) carborundum stone, diamond stone, and a stone disc in
an angle grinder, in that order (the last might put up a huge cloud of dust, so
don't do inside).

Thomas Prufer