Wayne Cook

Default Wayne Cook-Big Lathe?

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:52:56 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT wrote:

I really wish. ( I was weaned on a servo shift, and it plumb spoilt me)

Na, it's an old klunker. Flat belt drive machine. Sounds like same
condition as your Sidney. Max speed 660 and only two horsepower. But by 16",
they mean 16" over the carriage, not to the ways. Also 120" means what you
can chuck between the three jaw and tailstock, not distance from spindle to
end of lathe. The meaning of swing and length has changed over time.

Ah yes the old measurement system. Makes more sense than the modern
one but sure does make a lathe sound small. Yep sounds much like my
old Sidney. There's a pretty good picture of it on this page
(fortunately my hand had just got through wiping and oiling it down so
it looks good :-)

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ook/lathes.htm

It's a good old lathe but just not up to really making any money in
a commercial shop. Just to slow on stock removal and to slow a speed
to get a good finish on mild steel.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm