Default Skating on thin ice with a _long musing about turned 'novelties'.

Hi Arch,

You do bring up some interesting "food for thought" thoughts. : )

I've always wondered why the catalogs keep offering some of the kits
over and over and it must be, like you said, because "we" are buying
them over and over. Personally, bottle stoppers are the only item I
turn that is attached to a piece of metal (and ONLY a quality stainless
steel base that won't pit in red wine!).

These kits for various trendy items are sold to guys who just want to
give someone something they made, something useful while being unique.
This doesn't mean the recipient need actually use the item, just say
"Wow, you made this? Thank you!" And at the shows where turners are
selling these trinkets or items (it's difficult to find a collective
word) most people will buy at least one as a unique gift or for someone
who thinks they have everything or as a stocking stuffer or office
gift. Taking into account the number of people on this planet, I
guess turners could sell these little items continually. Hope this
is clearer to you than it is to me after I reread what I was trying to
say! : )

Take care,
Ruth