carl mciver

Default Request for advice regarding cantilevered mounted bearing housing, deflections and shaft stresses

"John2005" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Hi everyone,
|
| Thanks for your replies,
|
| Carl Mciver wrote:
| How possible is it for you to provide a light duty thrust bearing where
the
| housing nears the support? It could be roller or brass (better roller,
| suspect, because of less wear and slop,) but either way it will pass some
of
| the load around the pin, letting you focus more on the shear load rather
| than the cantilevered beam loading (you have to have a tight fit or that
| will be a part of it, though.)
|
| John2005:
| I was thinking along the lines of using a thrust washer as well. A
| needle bearing thrust washer would be ideal, but it's really kind of
| expensive for a product like this. Brass or steel would be OK if it can
| be quiet over the life of the product, and wear OK with no additional
| lubrication beyond lubing at assembly. I was thinking of using a
| plastic thrust washer like Delrin or PEEK.
SNIP

Have you looked at using a wave washer? While it reduces the load
factor you can use, if you find one stiff enough to resist the pressure, it
can accommodate for wear of a solid wear surface. You also might look for
preoiled bearings, such as DU bearing or similar, and either make or buy
something that works. That's really good stuff, too, and handles high
pressures really well.