Wayne Cook

Default Wayne Cook-Big Lathe?

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:57:16 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT wrote:

Interesting. I wonder what the centers are. I need a minimum of 8'
and the max I can fit in the shop is 10'. The 21" max swing of my
Sidney (the lathe I'm trying to replace) is about perfect. There's
been a few times that I've used it all and only about 3 times that it
wasn't big enough. Bigger lathes tend to be to heavy to use for the
smaller work which is the majority that I do.

I've got a 16" x 120" LeBlond that I'd give away for the help in moving it
out of the shop. It's buried behind two mills and two grinders. it has
become a tool shelf sence I got the 22"x72" Mazak CNC running. Warning: It
will take more than a day to extract and you ain't gonna haul it home in a
pickup truck.

Ouch. That hurts. 2000+ mile round trip. That's almost as bad a the
2400+ miles to Gunners and back. But man what a incentive to make the
trip.

Hmm. Is that 16" name plate or actual? According to this listing
this particular 16" LeBlonde actually swings 20 1/2". Pretty darn
close to what I'm looking for.

http://www.machinetools.com/mt/machi...80130503290515

Is it similar to that lathe?

For some reason I'm thinking that it's a Servo Shift. Seems to me
that I remember you talking about it in the past. That would make it
more like this one.

http://www.machinetools.com/mt/machi...stingID=102449

That might also make the actual swing smaller. I believe that
LeBlonde stopped underrating there swing as much in later years.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm