Nick Brooks

Default Property development

Owain wrote:
Nicknoxx wrote:

I imaging that rewiring, new heating system, kitchen and bathroom will
be required but not any major structural work.
I would like to do all of the work myself but am not au fait with the
subtleties of the building regualtions to know what problems I'm
likely to encounter.

Unless you use a contractor who is a member of a self-certification
organisation (eg NICEIC or NAPIT for electrics; ie CORGI for gas, FENSA
for windows) you will need to make a Building Regulations application
for rewiring (Part P will apply to a complete rewire), new heating
system (Part L), replacement windows (Part L?) ...

You will need Building Regulations application for any new connections
to drains or sewers (which might cover putting in an en-suite) as AFAIK
plumbing isn't (yet) covered by a self-certification scheme.

Owain

Now we're getting somewhere. So I can do all the electrics and plumbing
(except Gas?) myself as long as I get it approved by the BR officer?

Is there a simplified summary of Part P and L somewhere?