JoeJoe

Default Property development

"raden" wrote in message
In message , DJC
writes
Nicknoxx wrote:

I recon that if my wife and I do all the work ourselves we should be
able to make a living out of it even if the housing market remains
fairly static.
3 bed semis in our area go for about £150k to £200k depending mainly on
condition and we estimate it would take about £30k to bring one up to
standard (£15k in materials and £15k in our time) which still leaves
room for a healthy margin

So you buy at 150k and hope to sell at 200k?
gross margin 50k

less transaction costs buying and selling
less opportunity cost of capital for how long?

less materials 15k

it's a business so factor in all the costs of a business
pay two people 15k for how long?

assume a static market in which the value of your stock may go up
as well as down.

And then, it's liable for capital gains tax ...

Not necessarily. Have that as your main source of income, and only pay
income tax on your profit.