josh

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

Comments inserted

"Dan_Musicant"wrote
They didn't even put sealant on the two nails on the center ridge cap,
and I believe they cut for cap, one of the caveats I believe you posted
about not long ago in this newsgroup.

Cutting cap, from a 3 tab shingle for a laminated shingle, is a cost cutting
feature to save the _contractor_ money. I would be interested in which
brand you had installed. I do believe every _major_ manufactuer, has an
accessory cap available.

Also, you mentioned the nails are 1.25" length. It would be interesting to
know the length recommended for the 50 year laminate for which you have.

Maybe I should call the shingle manufacturer's rep if the warranty might
be voided. I guess my first call will be to the estimator and see what
he says. Maybe he will get them over here and fix the exposed nailheads.

What does it take to fix such a thing? This is a 2 story 1925 square
foot house and I found around 70 exposed nails today. Probably 35% of
those can be seen standing directly over them, the other 65% if you are
looking at an angle or from the side. One section of the roof is a lot
worse than the others. Some have only 1-3 exposed nails, one has around
10, but one section has around 50 exposed nails.

First, if they nailed off-line, they put holes too low, when they shot the
fasteners. Not only is too low a concern, but shooting off-line too high is
a concern. You must catch the shingle where it's laminated together,
otherwise you're not securing the exposed part of the shingle to the deck.
Also, if you nail too high, you're not catching the previous shingle with
the fasteners. This is a concern, especially when the winds pick up.

Pulling the exposed nails, then to properly place them, the hole is still
there, the damage is done.

I'm going to go in the attic and see if I can find evidence of plywood
not falling on the rafters. Some of the nailing was pretty poor -
sometimes 5-6 straight nails missed a rafter. Maybe they went back and
put in more nails, I can't tell from the attic, but I sort of have to
wonder when I see so many in one place.

I had seen a job, as what you described. We had done 3, tri-plexes for a
fellow over a couple years. He called looking for an estimate on a fourth
job. I was close to $900 higher than his highest bid. Of course, this was
the only one with everything spelled out, using the exact materials.

I followed up on the lead, and Bruce said if I would cut it closer to a $400
difference, he would award the job to me. No can do Bruce, you know the
work, go ahead and take your chances.

A couple months later, Bruce called me. He said he was embarrassed to call
me, but didn't know where to turn. He climbed on the roof, and seen nail
heads between the rows. He asked me to come look, and he would pay the fee.
No charge to this fella, I had to see what he was talking about.

He then asked me what it would cost, to fix the problem. Well, the roofer
had two complete rows, disappear when he got to the ridge, this was besides
the hundreds of shiny heads that could be seen.

I told him, the quote was still in the computer, and was still good. We
ended up, tearing off the brand new roof. And, Bruce, well he took the
company to court. But, the company went belly up.