Dan_Musicant

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:54:57 GMT, "josh" wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote
: My house just had a complete roof tearoff and application of 50 year
: architectural asphalt shingles over 30 lb. felt and 1/2" CDX plywood.
: The roofers finished last Friday, and I see some exposed nails and they
: presumably replaced some shingles, therefore. Going up there now I see
: more exposed nails. Some I can see standing over them, maybe half of the
: nail head (1.25" galvanized roofing nails). Many more, I can see from
: the side, if I look up the slope of the roof. I figure those are less
: exposed than the ones you can see from above, but some moisture is going
: to reach those nails too. How exposed does a roofing nail in this
: circumstance have to be before it presents a problem? Thanks for the
: information.
:
: Dan
:
:The only place you _may_ find "exposed" nail heads, would be on the last
iece of ridge cap, or on apron flashing. BUT, sealant should be covering
:those nail heads, OR, some roofers take shingle material applying mastic on
:the backside, and stick over the nail heads.

They didn't even put sealant on the two nails on the center ridge cap,
and I believe they cut for cap, one of the caveats I believe you posted
about not long ago in this newsgroup.

:
:From your description, it sounds as if they nailed off-line. Nailing on-line
:is crucial. If this is the case, I'll bet these guys were so proud they did
:the job quick, and probably impressed you that they did the job so quick.
:Unfortunately, if you can't be fast and good at the same time, it ends up
:with a botched job. It will also void all warranties when nailing off-line.

Maybe I should call the shingle manufacturer's rep if the warranty might
be voided. I guess my first call will be to the estimator and see what
he says. Maybe he will get them over here and fix the exposed nailheads.

What does it take to fix such a thing? This is a 2 story 1925 square
foot house and I found around 70 exposed nails today. Probably 35% of
those can be seen standing directly over them, the other 65% if you are
looking at an angle or from the side. One section of the roof is a lot
worse than the others. Some have only 1-3 exposed nails, one has around
10, but one section has around 50 exposed nails.
:
:If poor workmanship is so obvious just by looking at the job, it makes you
:wonder what else they botched. I would be concerned the CDX didn't fall on
:the rafters correctly among a list of other important factors.

I'm going to go in the attic and see if I can find evidence of plywood
not falling on the rafters. Some of the nailing was pretty poor -
sometimes 5-6 straight nails missed a rafter. Maybe they went back and
put in more nails, I can't tell from the attic, but I sort of have to
wonder when I see so many in one place.