josh

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

"Dan_Musicant" wrote
My house just had a complete roof tearoff and application of 50 year
architectural asphalt shingles over 30 lb. felt and 1/2" CDX plywood.
The roofers finished last Friday, and I see some exposed nails and they
presumably replaced some shingles, therefore. Going up there now I see
more exposed nails. Some I can see standing over them, maybe half of the
nail head (1.25" galvanized roofing nails). Many more, I can see from
the side, if I look up the slope of the roof. I figure those are less
exposed than the ones you can see from above, but some moisture is going
to reach those nails too. How exposed does a roofing nail in this
circumstance have to be before it presents a problem? Thanks for the
information.

Dan

The only place you _may_ find "exposed" nail heads, would be on the last
piece of ridge cap, or on apron flashing. BUT, sealant should be covering
those nail heads, OR, some roofers take shingle material applying mastic on
the backside, and stick over the nail heads.

From your description, it sounds as if they nailed off-line. Nailing on-line
is crucial. If this is the case, I'll bet these guys were so proud they did
the job quick, and probably impressed you that they did the job so quick.
Unfortunately, if you can't be fast and good at the same time, it ends up
with a botched job. It will also void all warranties when nailing off-line.

If poor workmanship is so obvious just by looking at the job, it makes you
wonder what else they botched. I would be concerned the CDX didn't fall on
the rafters correctly among a list of other important factors.