Ray L. Volts

Default Phono Preamp

"User-Friendly" wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't know what kind of cartridge the turntable has. I'm thinking
moving magnet, here's why. I was able to capture acceptable audio by
running both channels of the turntable directly into the mic input of
the sound card. The levels were okay but the sound was very tinny like
you'd expect from a phono signal that hasn't been eq'd. I applied
equalization in software to mimic the RIAA curve and the sample sounded
fine. I want to capture from the line in jack though so I don't lose
the stereo.

Since you can achieve an acceptable result from your mic input, an
alternative approach might be to capture each channel separately (two
recordings) and then use your editor to combine the channels. Obviously,
you'd have to magnify the samples and perfectly sync the beginning points of
the channel samples. Anyhow, it might be worth a shot just as an
experiment.

Having said that, are you certain your mic input is mono? Some soundcards
have stereo mic capability, despite the mic or headset boom which may have
been supplied with them. Check the jack on your sound card. It could be
that you need only purchase the appropriate adapter(s) for your patch
cables.