James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Dust Collector Piping Advice

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm amazed at the variation in pricing and options for putting all the
mechanical in for my dust collector in my small shop. I have 6 tools
I'd like to collect from and a 3HP G0441 dust collector from Grizzly.

I've gotten quotes for spiral pipe and snap lock (hvac) pipe that range
from $175 to $600. I've talked to local installers and they want $95
an hour for labor !

I know the snap lock pipe (if I'm using the right terminology) is
suppose to be more difficult to work with but have no idea how much so.

Grizzly's piping is outrageously expensive and the sales people at
Oneida I've found to be knowledgeable but pushy. Last I spoke to them,
here's a quote "I'll design your piping for your Grizzly system (I
never told them I bought a Grizzly), but it'll cost you $400". Not a
business winning personality if you know what I mean.

One concern w/ less expensive pipe is for each of the Wye's that go to
the individual tools, I want a sturdy place to be placing the pipe
clamps for the flex hose.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

JR

When I get around to it, I plan to use PVC S&D pipe. Stronger, smoother
and cheaper than spiral or snap type pipe. If it's good enough for Mr.
Pentz, it's good enough for me!