Duane Bozarth

Default What to do with my 1hp delta shaper?

And yes, you can make any table you want, and spin a bit the size of a
frisbee and have it work as long as you are willing to do all the
necessary things to protect yourself like new hold downs, and the
patience to make 7 - 8 passes for a door.

I would include a heavy piece of shrapnel-shielding material between me
and the spinning potential lethal weapon to put a _very_ large shaper
cutter on a LD 1/2" spindle shaper.

A router bit for a 1/2" router in the 1/2" collet is one thing, a large
3-wing shaper cutter that might be 2-3x the diameter and weight is
something else entirely. I've no clue what Toller _really_ has in mind
as he's not provided a specific cutter but to say the cutout in the
table isn't big enough makes me nervous even here that the launched
might come out of orbit in my shop.

I've seen one such incident in a high school shop and after watching it
go through a cinder-block wall about 30 ft away, I don't want to see
anyone take a chance.

Fortunately in the particular instance it was launched directly away
from the operator and was also away from the rest of the occupied
classroom as well--but that it wasn't at 180 degree from where it went
was pure blind luck (or intervention if you're of that mindset) and it
would have gutted the kid running the shaper for sure.