Tom B

Default Earth bonding...

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:08:12 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Yes, the bathroom is involved, so I'll bond. I presume I'll need 10mm

earth
wire?

For supplementary bonding, I'd only bridge the Cuprofit if it is installed
inside the bathroom. Otherwise, just supplementary bond the section within
the bathroom to all other fittings that require it, but leave the external
Cuprofit unbridged. Ideally (which is not possible if there are electrical
fittings or other continuous earthed services) the supplementary bonded
metalwork in the bathroom will be connected to each other, but not earth.
This makes everything in the bathroom at the same voltage, but without
providing a low impedence path to earth. Of course, it is rarely possible to
achieve without plastic plumbing.

Christian.

Errrr... I must be missing something here. What is the point of connecting all
the bits of metal together but not to earth? This doesn't "make everything in
the bathroom at the same voltage". It just makes them all 'floating', just the
same as if you leave them individually 'floating'.