Jeff Liebermann

Default Best Buy and Geek Squad computer privacy issues

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:17:07 -0600, Mike Berger
wrote:

We fix computers and computer problems, not Windows.
We consider Windows issues to be an entirely different
class of problems.

I do whatever the customer needs and wants. That includes cleaning
the machine, applications issues, updates, hand-holding, remote admin,
and of course, Windoze untrashing. Full service gas station versus
minimal service.

And problems running applications or opening a particular
file are not the kind of problem people take to technicians.
Who sends their computer to Best Buy
for a problem with an Office document?

Nobody I know. The problem isn't the document, but the Office
application that needs testing. I know from experience that I can't
leave *ANY* problem unfixed. If I don't fix everything and anything,
the customer will complain. That includes software and apps. If some
game doesn't work, I'll hear about it. I simply don't return machines
that have anything wrong. No way to do that without diving deep into
the customers files.

Somehow, I have the impression that everyone does it like that. Am I
wrong, or are there shops that just fix the immediate problem and
ignore everything else?

Drivel: Both Sony and Dell have done on-site warranty replacements of
dead hard disk drives. The "tech" shows up, removes the old drive,
installs the new drive, and that's it. Does not install Windoze or
use the recovery cd. When asked, they say, "We don't support
Windoze".

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D