Ken G.

Default Sorry for the off topic post

Bruce Ferguson wrote:
I apoloigize ahead of time for this off topic post but I figured with all
the people out there some one may have the answer.

My experience with cast iron sewerpipes has been only to knock them out
for replacement by PVC, but I know the stuff is quite brittle--almost
like glass. Probably not very fun to use a hacksaw or any metal-cutting
type of blade on this stuff. We just took a sledgehammer to it.

I'd concentrate on unscrewing the plug, using lots of heat and a
penetrating spray. The heat will help the spray wick into the threads.
Whatever kind of wrench you can get on the plug, use a long piece of
pipe on the handle for leverage.

For future reference, the newsgroup alt.home.repair is where I go--among
the self-described "expurts", there are a few people who can answer this
intelligently.
Not that I object to you posting here, as long as you're a woodturner
Good luck!

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/