Default Router and Router Table questions, comments appreciated

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:38:45 +0000, joe2
wrote:

Folks with mega router experience told me to pass on the big 3 or 3-1/2
hp routers, instead get a 2 or 2-1/2 hp, unless you will be working with
your router frequently, i.e. several times a week. They recommended I
take a look at the PC 7518 kit and the Bosch 1617EVS.

big routers work well in the router table. if you're going to do a lot
of table work, sooner or later you'll want one. for a first router
one of the 2 base kits is a good move.

The same folks said to pass on a plunge router. I want a router that
will work for table mounted and handheld. They said any router will
sink the bit in the wood by rocking it, a plunge isn’t necessary.
Since I have no router experience perhaps some folks here can share
some insight/experience on this point…is a plunge necessary?

plunging with a fixed base router is generally bad practise. you can
get away with it for small bits and shallow cuts in the middle of
large areas of waste, but it's still bad practise. being able to
plunge straight in is a very useful thing, and a lot safer than
stuffing it in with a fixed base.