Wayne Cook

Default Wayne Cook-Big Lathe?

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:02:09 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 05:14:09 -0600, Wayne Cook
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 05:23:55 GMT, Gary Brady
wrote:

Wayne, you said you were looking for a big lathe. Have you seen this
one? Not that far from you.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/110150134.html

No I hadn't seen it. Thanks. It's just a little bigger than I'm
looking for. Anything over 20-21" actual swing just gets to heavy and
awkward to run for most of my work.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Leigh at MarMachine, who posts here, has a 18" Clausing for sale,
very reaonably IRRC

Interesting. I wonder what the centers are. I need a minimum of 8'
and the max I can fit in the shop is 10'. The 21" max swing of my
Sidney (the lathe I'm trying to replace) is about perfect. There's
been a few times that I've used it all and only about 3 times that it
wasn't big enough. Bigger lathes tend to be to heavy to use for the
smaller work which is the majority that I do.

I've got a standing buyer for the Sidney if I can find a
replacement. It's not a bad lathe but with the flat belt drive I can't
hog much on it without slipping the belt and the top speed is to slow
for some of my work. It also has a pretty bad taper near the chuck.