Adam Smith

Default Hardness tester

I have a Japanese bench tester that has worked fine for as long as I've
owned it (about 20 years) (it looks like the Mitutoyo tester if you have
seen one of those). I traded with a fellow-knifemaker for the Swiss portable
tester I had before that. I'd say the Swiss hand-held and the bench tester
were roughly equally accurate and repeatable. I can't comment on the Wilson
models, though they have always been the "standard" make, since I've never
used one. The diamond indenter is required for C scale readings, as you
probably know. I wouldn't pay a nickel for motorization, unless I was
running a heat treating shop. I never resented the few minutes it took to
take three hardness readings on a knife blank. Someone who has experience
with motorized units, may chime in and prove me wrong.

If you haven't heat treated your own work before, you are going to love the
freedom it brings, not having to decide in advance what the next twenty
blades are, batching them together for commercial treatment. Not to mention
the positive effect of having someone doing the heat treat that actually
gives a ****!

Where I would definitely spend a bit of money is on the controller, and on
adequate insulation of the box. My oven has a fiberfax hot face, which makes
a tremendous difference to the time it takes to get to temperatu 0 to
2000F in about 18 minutes, 15A 220V.

Good luck with the project,

Adam Smith
Midland, ON