Jim McGill

Default How is a Lathe Measured?

You've got to be careful. The first number is the diameter that can be
turned over the ways (though sometimes it's the radius, but that's
usually pretty obvious). The second number is EITHER the total length of
the ways, OR the maximum distance between centers. It's totally
inconsistent. I've seen my Craftsman lathe sold on eBay as a 12" x 32"
(length between centers) 12" x 36" (length between headstock and end of
ways) or a 12" x 48" (length of bed). You have to be careful. I nearly
bit on a South Bend ~10" x 24" one time until I looked closely at the
pictures and realized the 24" was the length of the ways. Maximum length
between centers, ~8" I'd guess.

Jim