Doctor Drivel

Default Property development

wrote in message
oups.com...
Nicknoxx wrote:

Hi All

I planning to sell my house and buy two smaller ones, renovate them and
sell on at a profit.

I imaging that rewiring, new heating system, kitchen and bathroom will
be required but not any major structural work.

I would like to do all of the work myself but am not au fait with the
subtleties of the building regualtions to know what problems I'm likely
to encounter.

Any advice gratefully received.

Nick Brooks

Good luck, you'll need it. You need to know about BR etc, and be able
to answer lots of remaining on the job questions rapidly.

You also need enough experience on projects to be able to be realistic
about what is and isnt needed, what it'll cost and how long it'll take.
You also need a basic understanding of the market youre dealing with.
Without all this info it'll take several times as long, your sale price
increase will have all been eaten by works costs, you'll have had to do
several things twice, your overall clever plan will have been shattered
by BR, and you'll crawl out covering your spend and wishing you'd sat
behind a desk for 6 months instead, making a profit.

Maybe you've been watching TV where everyone makes lotsa bucks fast.
Ask yourself why thats what they show, and how its achieved.

Money isnt that easy, doesnt grow on trees. You need plenty of
knowledge and skills. In a rising fast moving market you could make
something anyway, otherwise not. I'd consider a job first.

Do a Google on this group by timegoesby. He does this and listed the points
to watch out for. It appears that just fitting in medium priced fittings
and not overdoing it, with a good state of decoration is all that is needed.
A sense of space is needed too. And make the front door look good, the
first impressions, Terence Conran said that. So just use IKEA stuff then.