willshak

Default Finishing a Basement: Question!

On 11/10/2005 8:33 AM US(ET), willshak took fingers to keyboard, and
typed the following:
On 11/9/2005 10:43 AM US(ET), jerseycat10 took fingers to keyboard,
and typed the following:
Posted Nov 08, 2005 07:40 PM
I am finishing my basement, and I have one wall that I am unsure how to
handle. Basically, here is the wall in question. Notice its adjacency
to my staircase.

http://www.bookac.com/Images/Basement/without_stud.jpg

If I decide to go with studs straight against this wall, like this:

http://www.bookac.com/Images/Basement/with_stud.jpg , I am going to
severely interfere with the size of that opening into the basement.
Also, I wouldn't know how to handle the transition from studded wall to
the sheetrock that is pre-existent in the stairwell (as can be seen in
the first image I linked).

I guess my question is, should I go with a studded wall, furring
strips, or am I supposed to somehow adhere the drywall/sheetrock to the
concrete wall. The last solution makes a little sense because it would
line up nicely with the sheetrock that already exists at the top of the
stairwell. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Your second idea would be the route I would go. I would use 2x?
framing and then end the framing about 2' from the stairwell so as not
to decrease the width of the stairwell, then use construction adhesive
to glue the sheetrock to the block wall from the framing end into the
stairwell. I suppose you will be insulating the framed wall?

Some added thoughts after looking at the pic again. You look like you
may have a moisture problem in that one area. You might want to paint
the block with a waterproofing paint first before doing any covering.
The second thought is to widen the opening of that stairwell by removing
the last stud and using the second from last stud as the new end stud.
That is, if you intend to put any furniture down there. I doubt whether
you can turn a couch through that opening as it stands now.

--
Bill