tempus fugit

Default Scope help.. How much voltage is too much?

As for the hum, have you tried connecting bot stereo and computer to the
same wall outlet or power bar? Sounds like ground loop to me, and if so,
this should make it go away.

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I have a old heathkit tube oscilloscope. It is a model I0-17. I was

wanting
to learn a little about it and how to use it. My biggest question is how
much voltage can a scope usually handle? This scope doesn't have any

probes.
Are there special probes for scopes that are different than those for
multimeters?

My first project I want to use it for is trying to find where I'm getting

buzz in my stereo. It will buzz if my computer is hooked up to and it is
grounded. If the computer is ungrounded it doesn't buzz. The stereo only

has
a two wire connector so it isn't groudned. I thought this scope could be
usefull in tracking down where the buzzing is coming from.. Anyhow I need

know if I can plug this thing into the wall (120vac) or if it will blow up
if I do that.