Mike Reed

Default affordable planer

Well, you could get a scrub plane, a jointer, and a smoother...

When I finally broke down and got a power planter, I got the 12-1/2"
Delta. I like it just fine. It will snipe long boards if I don't lift
slightly at the end of outfeed, but I'm there anyway trying keep the
thing from hitting the floor. The blades are easy to change and
reverse, and it's generally done a great job in my shop.

I don't see the model I purchased, but it's most similar to this one:
http://www.toolseeker.com/WdWkMac/Pl...p?var1=TP400LS

Make sure you get one with the anti-snipe lock.

ddakadmc wrote:
Good morning from arizona...

I am pretty new to woodworking and am setting up my shop in my garage.
I want to buy a planer and really like the DeWalt 735 but the $499
price tag is really beyond my grasp right now.

What planer(s) would you suggest under $400 and why. Also, how do you
limit snipe in a planer, it seems like such a waste of wood? Or, would
you suggest a reconditioned DeWalt 735 for $369 (but it only has a 1
year warranty and would need to be shipped).

Thanks in advance. I have learned a lot from reading these posts, and
yes, I did a search on planers but did not find anything along this
path.

Have a great day!